On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:23:23 -0800, Octavian Rasnita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do you have any idea what is ELO and what is HELO?
> I sent a message and I saw in the headers from unknown (HELO).
>
> Thank you for some light.

 I'm assuming from your last e-mail on the list that you're speaking of
 the HELO command in the SMTP protocol.
 This command is used to identify yourself to the SMTP server at the
 beginning of the transaction (though you can use it later on too IIRC)
 It has the form:
 HELO your.host.name

 The server usually do a reverse lookup to see if the name you gave is
 correct. It should reply with a line greeting you, like:
 250 smtp.server.com Hello your.host.name(or whatever hostname it found
 during the reverse lookup)

 obPerlContent: with Net::SMTP the hostname you give during the HELO
 command can be set in the constructor with the Hello => 'hostname'
 parameter

--
briac
 << dynamic .sig on strike, we apologize for the inconvenience >>