I wrote a background daemon (using fork) that right now does something and
than goes to sleep. It would be good if I could use POE for the background
daemon.

I'm limited to what I can use by my ISP. OS is Slackware Linux and I have
just plain ftp account not even shell (we're a startup company
unfortunately). I made a script through which I can call external commands
(thats how I found out their configuration, users etc.). They are using
Apache suexec btw.

I wish to install POE there !

Up to now I would just copy perl modules into cgi-bin folder and put cgi-bin
path into @INC and everything would work.
But I think POE requires additional modules (Event and Filter::Util::Call
maybe others) that require code to be compiled (xs). I think I can do that by
using the script to start external commands. But how do I inform perl of the
locations of these compiled modules ? My knowledge of this is rather sparse.
In mod-perl you just say something like PerlSetEnv PERL5INC ... or PerlSetEnv
PERL5LIB ... and you're all set. Here I can push cgi-bin folder to @INC but
what about the compiled code ? How do I tell perl where to search for it ? I
guess it's the job of DynaLoader to find and load these modules.

Feeling lost ...