Hello everyone.

My ISP doesn't have /etc/protocols world readable, and so IO::Socket doesn't
work, as getprotobyname and getprotobynumber fail.

I am using the Mail::POP3Client wrapper.

I am trying to come up with a workaround, and the best I can come up with is
a horrendous hack to IO::Socket::INET so that it knows that tcp is protocol
6 and vice versa.

My ideal would be to store a local copy of /etc/protocols for Perl, and
somehow fool it into resolving there rather then the real one.

Does anyone have any tips?  I can't modify anything too fundamental with
Perl, as I am running their binary.

Paul.