As I understand it, because of the single-request/single-response nature of the HTTP protocol and the way frames are treated as individual, separate pages, that there's no way to get results from a form in one frame, process it with a CGI script and the output a new page to both that frame AND another frame during the same processing cycle? Is that so? In other words, what I'd like to do is be able to change a navigation bar in one frame and also update the "main" frame with a new page at the same time.

An example: when logging in, I'd like to show a simple navbar in the left frame with just "Login" and "Help". Then based on successfully authenticating in the main frame using a form for username and password, I'd like to display a new page in that same main frame AND update the navbar in the left frame to add new command buttons available only to a logged-in user.

Any suggestions or pointers to examples would be much appreciated. I've started to look at doing this via tables without frames, but using frames seems like it would be much cleaner in principle.

Thanks.

--ted
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Markowitz;Ted
FN:Ted Markowitz
NICKNAME:Ted Markowitz
ORG:Cognosys
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(203)655-7746
TEL;HOME;FAX:(203)655-7746
ADR;WORK:;;10 Hamilton Lane;Darien;CT;06820
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:10 Hamilton Lane=0D=0ADarien, CT 06820
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20020327T200404Z
END:VCARD