I cannot answer these questions, as I am facing exactly the same situation
and have exactly the same set of question myself -- so I will be monitoring
closely for any answers!

However, as per CGI.pm, I do know that on Tripod/Lycos accts, they install
CGI.pl and a number of Tripod*.pl modules for you (optionally). If they do
any registration or just copy the files, I don't know, but the text of these
install pages indicates that they are just copied to /cgi-bin, nothing more.

My  new (DomainAvenue*) host also supports PHP4, which I am just now looking
at. Quite frankly, for what I want to do (and am currently doing using SSI)
this looks like a better initial choice -- I may need additional Perl
scripts, but with the MySQL support, more C-like syntax, scripts embedded in
HTML & Perl-like regexp support, this LOOKS more accessible to me (with a
C++, Java, 4-GL programming background, Win-centric & lite on Unix shell
scripts & a lot of SSI-enabled HTML pages to enhance incrementally.)

Also, if you're using (client-side) Win (or Linux or Mac, I guess), download
ActiveState's Perl && Komodo (v1.1 is free for edu / learning  / home
purposes). Komodo is a Win IDE w/ Perl / PHP / more develop / debugging
support. I just dl'd and, initially, it looks GREAT!!

http://www.activestate.com

*DomainAvenue.com offers:  $35/yr w/ domain
name/10Mg/SSI/Perl/PHP4/5-POP3/MySQL & unlim bandwidth/email aliases/more --
great deal!!! Get one! Tell Carol in support I sent you.
http://www.domainavenue.com.

*BTW: I am not affiliated in any way with DomainAvenue.com or it's parent
Wyith, Inc. -- I am just a very happy customer who wants to spread the word,
since they've gone the extra mile (or 100) to support me with <?stupidly
simple?> questions similar to these. For example, at my request (to lessen
MY workload) they enabled SSI for all .html files on all accounts (in
addition to .shtml), simply because MY current pages expect it. They've also
made numerous changes to the account management pages at my specific request
and are working on more right now. And they did it FAST. They are great!

David Van Camp
Software Development Consulting
Patterns, Reuse, Software Process Improvement
http://www.davidvancamp.com

Visit the OO Pattern Digest!
A catalog of condensed patterns, books and related resources
http://patterndigest.tripod.com
Moving soon to: http://patterndigest.com