'htpasswd' is an Apache web server function rather than a Perl function. It
originated on UNIX but is also available for Win32. On Win32, usernames and
passwords are limited to 255 characters. I'm not sure that's really a limit
to be concerned about though...when was the last time you saw a
255-character username?

Although it appears to create a "different" password even when you enter the
same one, what is really different is the encryption string that is created.
htpasswd encrypts passwords so that password sniffers can not scan a system
and find the username:password pairs in plain text.

It is used in conjunction with a file in the protected directory (typically
called .htaccess, but not always) and another file on the server, preferably
a file that is not located within your HTML document root (usually something
like /usr/apache/htdocs/username).

The process goes like this:

        1. Create a file in the directory that you wish
           to password protect. For our purposes we'll
           just call it the default ".htaccess"

        2. Type the following to create a new password
           protected account:

                htpasswd -c /path/to/.htaccess <username>

           Note: The -c flag is only needed when you
           create the new user. If the user already
           exists, -c is not necessary. Just think of
           it as "-c equals create".

        3. Your .htaccess file will look similar to this.
           Please consult the Apache documentation to
           see what the options are. This is the most
           basic configuration. (Apache: www.apache.org)

           AuthUserFile /path/outside/htmldocroot/passwordfile
           AuthName "Subscribers"
           AuthType Basic
           <Limit GET POST>
           require valid-user
           </Limit>

        4. Now create the password for the user.

                htpasswd <username> <password>

        IMPORTANT: It is not considered a secure practice
        to keep web password files within your HTML document
        root. You don't want the file located anywhere that
        is accessible with a browser via HTTP.

        For full documentation, look here:
        http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/htpasswd.html

        Or in your local Apache administration guide.

Regards,

Scot Robnett
inSite Internet Solutions
[EMAIL PROTECTED]