The best place to start is with the books "Learning Perl" and "CGI
Programming with Perl" (you can find them on www.oreilly.com).

Check out this site, www.pm.org to find a Perl Mongers user group near you.

You can see what other people have done (so you can do it better) at sites
like

        http://www.cgi-resources.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/ and

        http://www.scriptsearch.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/

And stay on this list, of course. :)