Ian,

Which version of Apache? 1.3.x, or 2.x?

Here is where to find the documentation:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

Most changes you would need to make in Apache are in the 'httpd.conf' file.
Like Randal said, though, it's ultimately up to the browser how to process
the file if there is not a handler for it on the server. If you have the
browser set to display text/plain docs in the browser, there's not much you
can do to change that situation on the server. One trick you can try is to
put it in a zip file; most browsers will prompt you to either save or open
that type of file.

You might want to read the Apache documentation for the 'AddHandler'
directive as well; this may provide some assistance.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addhandler

HTH,

Scot R.
inSite