On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 08:34 , Patricia Gillard wrote:

> Thanks!!  But reading at that site, it says, "They must run under Perl
> 5.004_04 or later. Any earlier Perl than this is pre-historic and can
> therefore be safely ignored." and the version the host offers is 5.005_03.
>
> Looks like I'll be learning Perl the hard way. ;-)
[..]
On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 08:08 , fliptop wrote:
> here and get drop-in replacements:
>
> http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

well yes and no.

the nms material will work as 'drop ins' - and basically
you will want to do that for at least 'the security' involved.
So you will not really need to 'learn perl' to do that upgrade.
Although actually reviewing the replacements from nms with
the originals will give you a better insight into how perl
has come of age since what is essentially perl4...

originally you noted:

> What I have learned about Perl at the new server is that it is Perl
> version
> 5.005_03, mod_perl1.25 module on a Sun Colbat server with Apache
> 1.3.2.  [I
> hope that means something to someone.]

yes it does - that sounds like the 'default' load out for the
solaris 8 basic configuration for a webServer...

so you may want to check with their webPerKin if they have already
installed the nms versions in a 'site wide' cgi-bin that you could
simply re-use in lieu of installing and running your own.

ciao
drieux

---