----- Original Message -----
From: "fliptop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bob Showalter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 8:26 PM
Subject: RE: apache::*, simple question.

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 at 16:51, Bob Showalter opined:
>
> BS:You're joking, right? Apache::DBI is completely useless under mod_cgi.
>
> when i use it with ordinary cgi programs and postgresql (on linux) i
> always see a pool of connections that remain active until httpd is
> restarted or the child process(es) that handled the request(s) reaches the
> maxrequests limit and dies.  i never said anything about mod_cgi.

Well, we may have confusion over terminology. I interpreted "ordinary cgi
program" as mod_cgi (i.e. a separate process forked to handle each request).
Under this, Apache::DBI is utterly useless. If you see a pool of
connections, you're talking mod_perl.

> i was under the impression the original question was 'do i need to write
> handlers in mod_perl to take advantage of the apache::* modules'.

If by "ordinary cgi program" you mean scripts being handled by
Apache::Registry (which is a mod_perl handler), then yes, Apache::DBI would
work. But yes, there needs to be a mod_perl handler for this to work (even
if you don't write the actual handler). This likely works with
Apache::PerlRun as well, although I don't really use that so I can't say for
sure.

The difference between mod_cgi and mod_perl is one uses the SetHandler
cgi-script directive while the other uses SetHandler perl-script and
PerlHandler directives.

Cheers.