I don't believe these considerations represent actual risks of
using web-server based authentication (.htaccess files).

- Once a user is authenticated, the script can still tell who they are,
  and assume roles based on that information.

- There are many scripts out there that can manage NCSA/Apache
  style BasicAuth (.htaccess/.htpasswd) files via a web page, with varying
  levels of access control.  I use .htaccess files to link the web server
  up with MySQL/Postgresql or LDAP databases, instead of having the
  passwords in a text file.  Then I'll have a web-based (or command-line
  based, or Windows desktop based) program that allows users to change
  their own information in the database.

- .htaccess files, in a basic configuration (i.e. text-file passwords) are
  really no less secure than the text of your Perl script.  The common
  misconfigurations of the web server that cause .htaccess files to be
  readable also make the perl scripts in the same directory readable.
  If you use a databasized .htaccess, then passwords aren't kept in any
  file accessible by the web server.