On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 at 20:33, Alex Agerholm opined:

AA:Can anyone direct me to some good source code example, on how to password
AA:protect some CGI scripts.
AA:As I want the solution to be portable, I do not want to use .htaccess.
AA:I would prefer som code to make a login page and verify the username and
AA:password against a SQL database, then set a cookie with an ID of the logged
AA:in user. And on all protected scripts simply call a check function that
AA:lookup the ID in the SQL database to see if it is legal and if not redirects
AA:to the login page.

if you're running mod_perl, there's apache::authticket.  it does exactly
what you want.

http://search.cpan.org/author/MSCHOUT/Apache-AuthTicket-0.31/