"Avoid Javascript" is a pretty far-reaching statement. If you want to launch
a popup window, Perl isn't going to do that, Javascript is. It only takes
one or two lines of client-side code. There are easy-to-follow Javascript
primers at

        http://javascript.internet.com and

        http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/jsp/jsp_toc.html

With regard to the database functionality, Perl and MySQL are powerful tools
if you have the time and inclination to learn them.

Good reading: 'Learning Perl', 'Perl in a Nutshell', 'CGI Programming with
Perl' and 'Programming the Perl DBI' (all O'Reilly books). There is also an
O'Reilly MySQL book but I forget the name of it. Actually the documentation
that comes with the MySQL distribution is quite good.

        http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html

I also like the SAMS series of SQL books ('Teach Yourself SQL in ...').

This is really a time and learning curve issue. If you don't have much time,
maybe an off-the-shelf CGI is the answer. But I think you'll probably get
more benefit in the long run if you go through the steps of building it
yourself.

HTH,
Scot R.
inSite