Hi all, the problem is that the script is really erroneous. Where you read
"q(..." should be "p( ..."
The p() function is a part of the CGI.pm modules and stands for a new
paragraph.

the right script is:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# cgi-bin/ice_cream: program to answer *and generate* ice cream
# favorite flavor form (version 3)
use CGI qw(:standard);
my $favorite = param("flavor");
print header, start_html("Hello Ice Cream"), h1("Hello Ice Cream");
if ($favorite) {
    print p("Your favorite flavor is $favorite.");
} else {
    print hr, start_form; # hr() emits html horizontal rule: <HR>
    print p("Please select a flavor: ", textfield("flavor","mint"));
    print end_form, hr;
}

Thanks,
bnegrao.