On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 at 12:11, Al Hospers opined:

have you looked at apache's documentation for mod_include?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html

AH:the cgi works fine when called in the browser as a url, here:
AH:
AH:http://66.186.192.77/cgi-bin/quotes/quotemaster.cgi?
AH:
AH:but when I embed it in the HTML it won't display. if I look at the
AH:source
AH:that comes back I see something like:
AH:
AH:<div align="center" class="quotesHeader">Quotes From the Edge</div>
AH:<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1" face="Arial">
AH:[an error occurred while processing this directive]
AH:</font>

what is put in the httpd error log when this occurs?  that information
could be valuable.

AH:here are the two methods I have tried:
AH:
AH:1) as a include in a shtml file:
AH:
AH:<div align="center">Quotes From the Edge</div>
AH:<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1" face="Arial">
AH:<!--#include
AH:virtual="http://66.186.192.77/cgi-bin/quotes/quotemaster.cgi"-->
AH:</font>

from the mod_include documentation:

Note that the comment terminator (-->) should be preceded by whitespace
to ensure that it isn't considered part of an SSI token.

AH:2) as an exec in an shtml file
AH:<!--#exec cgi="http://66.186.192.77/cgi-bin/quotes/quotemaster.cgi?"-->
AH:</font>

from the mod_include documentation:

The include virtual element should be used in preference to exec cgi.
In particular, if you need to pass additional arguments to a CGI program,
using the query string, this cannot be done with exec cgi, but can be done
with include virtual, as shown here:
<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/example.cgi?argument=value" -->