Hello All

This is not really CGI talk but I am interested in the statement that
XHTML is a subset od XML and a parser should be available in the CGI library.

To my mind XHTML is a cleaner version of HTML in that any opening tag
has to have a closing tag. e.g. a <p> tag has to have a </p> tag to
close that particular block. BUT when we have something like a <hr>
where no closing tag was required in HTML we now have to put a '/' in
there. That is the <hr> now becomes <hr /> - not compulsory right now
but it will be soon.

So we can still search for an opening tag in XHTML as we did in HTML.
They are still used. Then if you want to you can look for another text
string starting with < and see if it contains a /. That makes it a
closing tag or a single tag entity. The clue here is the gap before the />

It sounds easy I suppose but there will be some work involved because of
all the single entity tags that never before had closing ones.

cheers

Jimmy George
@CUDAL Australia