Hi!

I wish you all a happy and prosperous new year!

Never change a running system! I did upgrade from Red Hat Linux 7.3 to 8 (German Personal Edition) and since then I had nothing but trouble.

I do CGI-Programming using Apache, Perl 5.8, MySQL and as Webbrowser, Mozilla. As I work on German webpages I have to take care of diacritics like Umlaute. However, the different applications do not have the same understanding of the characters they receive, e.g.

I type in an Umlaut in a form on the webbrowser.
The Umlaut is send via Apache to a Perl script where I want to change it in an HTML-entitiy with a regular expression.
However, Perl does not see it as an Umlaut (and does not change it).
When the data is send to MySQL the character appears as a square.
When I print out (to the webbrowser) the character as I receive it, it prints out as an Umlaut. In the source code of the HTML page it prints out as an Umlaut as well - not the HTML entity.
When I say in my script "print "<p>Word with Umlaut</p>"; it prints out gibberish in stead of the Umlaut.

So where is the problem? Is it the web browser? Is it Apache? Is it Perl? What can I do to rectify this problem?

Is there some central variable in Linux which gives the character set used? I ask, because I seem to have this problem all over. Nedit or Vim cannot display diacritics, even the console has problems.

Kind regards

Anette Seiler