> Bare in mind that I am still a beginner at coding. Why is it "good
> practice" to create an object when using CGI, rather than just diving
> in?

Maintainability.

> For example:
>
> use CGI ':standard';
> my $q=new CGI;
> my $input=$q->param('input');
>
> and
>
> use CGI ':standard';
> my $input=param('input');
>
> both put the contents of 'input' into $input and the last one has less
> lines and less opportunity for typos, but the first is better practice
> than the second. Gently, please; why?

Okay, I'll expand on it a little.

So when you leave and someone else takes over, they can maintain it and have a
clue.  :)

For instance, go here:  www.stout.dyndns.org/~stout/ttms.tar.gz (2.8KB). You
tell me how readable it is now and realize I'm using the good programming
techniques, and tell me if it would even be close to readable if I weren't.

Dennis