On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:10:37 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Greenhalgh David) wrote:

>Thanks for that. The MD5 is a one way hash, unfortunately. I need to be
>able to decrypt at the server side.
>
>I agree about SSL, unfortunately my client's host (borrowed space on a
>non-commercial server) only has 2 IPs for SSL and both are filled until
>the system upgrade late this year. What I am looking for is a fill in
>solution that will allow  some form of secure transmission of personal
>information (not a password) until the SSL becomes available.

Well you could always use Perl scripts, and setup some socket
connections. You could just ask the client to download a small
script and run it, which do a safe transfer.
It could be done alot of ways. The downloaded perl script could be
run to encrypt a file with rc4, then the client could upload the
results.  The MD5 password method would give you a way to
exchange an initial password safely, then that password could be used
by both sides for the rc4 password.