I want to write a CGI in perl that when called, grabs a number from a MySQL db or a file, increments it, writes the number back out, and then returns a GIF with that number. I want to have 10 separate GIFs, each one containing an image (that I have created to match the site design) of a number, 0-9. I need to be able to piece together any number of these GIFs from left to right into one large (relatively) GIF. I know how to do everything but actually create the GIF. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

--
Andrew Gaffney