The following snippet of code is from "Programming the Perl DBI" and shows the storing of a hash element that contains both a comma and a sort-of double quote. (In the book, double quotes are shown; in the book-file, it looks like back tics and single quotes.)

### Insert some data rows
$database{'Callanish I'} =
"This site, commonly known as the ``Stonehenge of the North'' is in the
form of a buckled Celtic cross.";

The next snippet is from code I wrote which didn't compile (choked on the repeated double quote marks as I attempted to put the word "Excretion" in quotes.

%database = (
"a4_2" => "releasing energy from food",
"q_3"  => ""Excretion" is getting rid of ______ material.",
"a1_3" => "excess",
);

Must I abandon trying to get double-quote marks into my hash element for later printing to the screen? I can live with single-quotes if I must.