Frank Delatorre wrote:

Yo man, if you read it thread you would get it. The original issue was
between LINUX and OpenBSD...NOT OpenBSD and netBSD....GOT IT?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 1:53 PM Subject: Re: OT: Webhosting with good Perl support

Frank Delatorre wrote:

ok, good point. thanks.

Now, why OpenBSD over netBSD? I was running netBSD on an ULTRA10 before

the

HDD died. I switched to Debian GNU/linux. Any thoughts?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randal L. Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Frank DeLaTorre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 1:00 PM Subject: Re: Webhosting with good Perl support

"Frank" == Frank DeLaTorre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Frank> SHOW US YOUR DATA. Otherwise you're just pointing fingers with Frank> NO evidence.

The data is public record.  Eight years with only one remote root
exploit for OpenBSD (and that was in OpenSSH, so it affected all
systems, not just OpenBSD).  The CERT records will show far more for
Linux.

I run OpenBSD because I don't want to have to log in every three hours
to find out that there's a new Linux Bug and I need to recondition my
server.

It's just a difference in philosophy, and has its trade offs, but I'm
willing to put up with fewer compatible packages in exchange for more
security.
--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777

0095

See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl

training!

I think he answered that but here goes. Because OpenBSD *focuses* on security. That is what it is know for. Whew! There. Got it now?

And the answer is still the same. OpenBSD focuses on security. NetBSD is known for running on just about anything. NetBSD can still be hardened but OpenBSD comes that way out of the box and amongst the BSD's is usually *the* choice if security is the main concern.

HTH