> I am trying to generate a web page with :
> print $q->header("application/vnd.ms-excel"),
>
> This tries to launch Excel but I get the error:
> "File cannot be opened because: A declaration was not closed Line 1,
> Position 1 <"
>
> When I use:
> print $q->header("text/html"),
>
> The page displays correctly and I do not see any "open" or "unclosed"
> HTML...

If you print an excel header then you have to print excel formatted
output, not HTML.  There is no automatic conversion on either side of
the connection (at least without a pretty nice plugin that I don't think
has been written yet).  There is a chance you could print an excel
header and then output comma delimited data but I would be surprised if
excel is that smart.

What are you really trying to do?

http://danconia.org