Let me rephrase that question:
Is there a way I can store large integers (> 2**32) as
character strings in radix 10 or radix 16 and covert
these strings to and from bitvectors from which I can
insert and extract individual bits?

I think bitvector is the name of the module. I did a
search on CPAN and looked thru my perldoc but could
not find it. What is the name of feature for storing
large boolean arrays?

  Thanks,
         Siegfried