David Dorward wrote:
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 22:51, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

I designing a small Perl-based webapp with a MySQL backend. There is a script that pulls values from the DB and populates form fields. Some of the fields must have freeform text (can have <>'" etc.). Getting it into the DB isn't a problem. Populating the form fields with this type of data is, though. I have a test data field that is "you don't want to know". I have tried making it safe with:

$string =~ s/\'/\\'/g;
$string = $cgi->escape($string); // using CGI.pm

Neither approach works properly. How does everyone else deal with this?

You probably want escapeHTML.

use strict;
use warnings;
use CGI;
my $cgi = CGI->new;
my $val = qq("Hello", said Paul);
my $escVal = $cgi->escapeHTML($val);
print qq(<input type="text" name="val" value="$escVal">);

Yes, I do want that :) Thank you.

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator