Wondering whether MySQL or Postgres is faster (or better) via CGI
(which is the topic of this list) is sort of like wondering whether a
JAPH which has less characters is in fact faster that longer equivalent
code - all without looking at maintenance, ease of use, and
understandability.  I know that everything I say here can be twisted in
either favor for or against Postgres.

I know from 5+ years of professional use that MySQL is more prevalent
(like MS Windows for an example.)  However, Postgress has had better
features longer and sooner than MySQL -- however with the recent SAP
code base and MySQL-SAP-MaxDB feature set merger maybe this will no
longer be such a determining factor.

However, the fact remains - Postgres is open source with an acceptable
open source license - MySQL (of any particular feature set) isn't.

In years past there was a long discussion of whether writing Perl using
modules was any "faster" than writing Perl with out -- the discussion
seemed to end up on the "my code can beat up your code" and nothing of
any true importance was decided upon - again all of this is of personal
choice.

I for one have abandoned Windows since 1995 and have been 90%
Unix-based in my personal life since but even I support clients who
insist on using Windows and I do so without "judging" these paying
clients as I am sure Merlyn will support paying clients who insist on
using MySQL.

In my own utilization and application deployments I have feel that
Postgres is a stable long-term professional choice which will perform
well within high-end multi CPU architectures.  I have been disappointed
in all application roll-outs of MySQL -- and it is true that could be
attributed to the fact that I didnt write any of them -- all were
inhererited or purchased as part of a larger software deployment.

Again all of this is highly application design specific as well as
OpSys dependent.  On my MySQL server I had 6 CPUs, 6GB of RAM, and a
125GB of drive space -- at 25,000 concurrent CGI hits per second the
server was crawling; peaked at over 99% for hours on end.  Not once
during the time I used MySQL was the platform (Solaris 8) nor the
development language (Perl) ever in question - the vendor always blamed
the tuning and performamnce of MySQL.  That vendor dropped MySQL and
switched to Oracle so they could better utilize SQL triggers as well as
Transaction roll-back and roll-forward capabilities.  I would say that
MySQL is "better" in many regards than Oracle -- but many of you would
very likely disagree.

So, in closing, lets just say that not everyone likes all database
development systems.

Thank you for your time in reading all this;

Bill
(aka -Sx-)