--- Jeff Herbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to be able to have webtv users (who can't save files locally)
> to each have their own user account to log into the apache login,
> then
> type a URL of a file that they want to put into their own
> folder/webspace.

Yes, then once they are authenticated you can switch them to their own
directory.  The path to a solution is designing a site layout which
differeniates between a local filesystem versus a URL filesystem.

Legal issues aside - you only need to write a Apache Basic
Authentication script via .htaccess and set the filesystem scripts to
that user -- very straight forward.

Um, may I ask?  how much hard drive space are you allowing them to use?
 How much band-width does your system have to actually go and "get"
these URL resources they wish to save on your host?

Plenty of almost free URL fielsystem services on the Internet now --
how is your service different?

-Sx-

=====
-Sx-