Vladimir D Belousov wrote on 03.03.2005:

>Jan Eden wrote:
>
>>Vladimir D Belousov wrote on 03.03.2005:

>>>I'm wrong, sorry. Can I see your .htaccess in part of ModRewrite
>>>directives?
>>>

>>Sure (abbreviated):
>>
>>RewriteEngine on RewriteBase /
>>
>>RewriteRule ^news/?$ cgi-bin/show.pl?id=2310 RewriteRule ^public/?$
>>cgi-bin/show.pl?id=2
>>
>>RewriteRule pages/([0-9]+) cgi-bin/show.pl?id=$1
>>

>>Thanks again,
>>
>>Jan
>>

>From perldoc CGI:
>
>start_form() will return a <form> tag with the optional method,
>action and form encoding that you specify.  The defaults are:
>
>method: POST action: this script enctype:
>application/x-www-form-urlencoded
>

>See the SCRIPT_NAME variable from environment. I think that value is
>established to /cgi-bin/show.pl?id=1234

I had read the perldoc for CGI. From your interpretation of the text, the
address bar should change to

http://mysite.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?id=1234

But it does change to

http://mysite.com/pages/1234?id=1234

So the script calls "itself" at http://mysite.com/pages/1234 and obviously
passes the correct parameters for username/password in the request body
(otherwise, the page would not display).

But the id parameter appears in the address bar. I still don't get it.

Cheers,

Jan
--
There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't