On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 10:25:28AM -0600, Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Cannot I just check for the mime-types supported by the browser (by checking
> ENV{HTTP_ACCEPT})

You'll find very few user agents which claim to support that
explicitly, the best you could hope for is that it includes a "*/*" to
say "Well, I'll try to do something sensible with whatever you throw
at me."

That doesn't change the fact that an HTML document is not an Excel
document, and should not be served as such.

> and conditionally set the content type to application/msexcel?

application/msexcel is not a MIME type registered with the iana.

> Incidently, I discovered that this mime type works and
> excel automatically converts the HTML to excel tables.

Excel is not the only piece of software to read Excel files.