On Jun 18, 2005, at 7:51 AM, Glauco Magnelli wrote:

I would hide source code in my CGI Perl scripts.
How can I do?

Thanks
Glauco Magnelli

This is a pretty well discussed subject that still comes up at least a few times a year. The short answer to this is that you should use a language that you can compile, like a variation of "C".

Perl is really not built for securely hiding source code. I think I've heard that there are some tools that may attempt to do this, but I have not heard of any that are a 100% solution.

Usually, in response to this question someone will ask, "Why do you want to hide your code?" Then you'll get the "You probably haven't created anything that hasn't been done already, or can't be done by a competent perl programmer, so it's really not worth the trouble."

And you'll also get the, "You're using a free, opensource language that many have donated their time and talent to create and now you want to hide the code you've created with it? If it's that great, donate it back to the community you've benefitted from."

Personally, I'm thrilled I don't have to compile, or encrypt, or use any other method of hiding my code. It would just add one more layer of complexity.

Finally, I think I heard that future versions of Perl may provide a way to do this, but hopefully someone familiar with the project can elaborate on this.

Kindest Regards,

--
Bill Stephenson