On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, David Dorward wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:42:29AM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
>
> > > It isn't possible. For that sort of thing you'll need something like
> > > an ActiveX control with permission to read the user's file system. (Or
> > > to get the user to type the path to the file).
> >
> > And that, in turn, can only be reliable with IE on Windows.
>
> Well, that specific example anyway :) I suspect a signed Java applet
> could work on other systems.

I thought Java applets were sandboxed, and that access to the filesystem
was explicitly not allowed. Have things changed in the past few years? I
thought the whole point of Java applets was that they were "safe", in
part, because they couldn't interact with the underlying filesystem.

> I seem to recall somebody managing to run ActiveX and IE under WINE :)

That barely counts :-)

--
Chris Devers