On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 05:25:27PM -0000, Dermot Paikkos wrote:

> I need to turn off the enctype attribute within a form

Why?

> The docs I have read say that application is the default but that
> doesn't seem to be the case.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ perl -MCGI -e'print CGI->start_form()'
<form method="post" action="/-e" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">

Looks like the case to me (assuming you mean
"application/x-www-form-urlencoded" as "application" by itself isn't
any form of encoding.

If you were talking about "the default of the encoding isn't
specified", then URL encoding is the default of every browser I've
ever tried it with. In fact, its the default type mandated by the HTML
spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#form-content-type