--- Mary Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are there things I should be doing, besides not running on Windows
> and IIS, to make my application more secure?  I am careful to
> timestamp every row in every table in case some malicious nonsense
> is done and I have to clean up the mess.

Hi Mary,

Glad you're thinking about security early.  Too many folks don't.

I have a brief introduction to CGI security at
http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/lessons/lesson_three.html.
It's not complete, but it covers the basics (there are a lot of things
about cookies which I should have covered, but didn't).

Here's an article about XSS (cross-site scripting attacks):
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/02/20/css.html

You can also read Randal Schwartz's article about basic cookie
management:  many cookie security holes just go away if you follow what
he lays out.

Cheers,
Ovid