I just installed Apache 2.0.58 and perl 5.8.8... It transpires that some of my
formerly operating .CGI software is now broken :(

The messages I'm getting seem to do with new character set support that isn't
understanding the old code -- or else the old code is failing to specify its
character set properly for the upddated perl and apache2 system software.

error messages look like the following

Invalid range "a-Z" in transliteration operator at Modules/vars.pm line 17.

I think I'm too much of a perl novice to know what I've done wrong in the
install, or what I should be looking at to correct it.