Perl Sucks!

Derek Ash
Application Programmer II
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
One Illini Drive, Box 1649
Peoria, Illinois 61656-1649

>>> "Ashok Varma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/31/2006 11:04:49 PM >>>
Hi,

The best approach you go with is use regular expressions, rather that
comparing them using relational operators.

next unless($fieldValue =~ /(\W|\D)+/);

the above code will check if '$fieldValue' is a non alpha numeric and
starts
the next iteration if it is not. \W in the above code specifies a
non-word,
\D specifies a non-digit and + specifies for one or many.

since Perl is a TIMTOWTDI, i have give you one way.  but it is always
good
to go with regular expressions rather than relational operators for
matching
characters. (FYI, i love Reg Exp's  :)  jus kidding)

hope this helps.
Note: i have just given you an example, which may not exactly suit
your
requirement, you have to change it  :).  i have just given you a hint.

Ashok

On 8/31/06, Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
> "Mary Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
> >    I know this isn't strictly a cgi problem, but it is arising in a
cgi
> > application.  I have a loop which reads certain fields, hashed on
names.
> > Some of my fields hold character strings, some hold numbers.
Sometimes