On 6/24/07, Shawn Hinchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello all,

I am getting to the point where I need to start thinking about doing
pagination for search results.

I did some searches and it looks like there are some pagination
modules, but I am not quite interested in going that route yet.  I am
using a handful of columns from the search so I do not think that
retrieving all results and then only showing a subset will be very
efficient.  It also looks like you can execute FOUND_ROWS() after
doing your initial query and it will give you the total results.  This
is probably the best route, but it is not easily implemented with the
way I have set up my functions.

Are there any other options that I have missed?  Suggestions?

If you are not interested in using the modules, it is not actually that hard
to roll your own.  In the past I have done different things for total
counts, either two separate queries, one just a 'SELECT COUNT(*)' and the
other to actually fetch the data.  Depending on your data you might be able
to add the count into your data fetching query but probably not.

Why do you not want to use the modules?

Thanks,

Shawn