Please see below for my solution.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Dermot Paikkos <
dermot.paik...@sciencephoto.co.uk> wrote:

> I am following these instructions,
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-apache2-webserver-with-phpcgi-a
> nd-perl-support-in-ubuntu-server.html<http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-apache2-webserver-with-phpcgi-a%0And-perl-support-in-ubuntu-server.html>
>
> but when i type, http://localhost it prompts to open the CGI script that
> i set at the location in text editor. It does not execute..... I have
> seen the link http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/cgi.html which you
> have given but on these pages it has not been showed step by step what
> files to configure and how to configure. Can you please provide me any
> web site or tutorial that explains Apache2 from the basics and how to
> make it compatible with CGI, MySql and SSL support.
>

> Regards,
>

> First I should point out a few customs on the mailing list; 1) Always
> include the list so that others might learn/add to the thread; 2) Bottom
> post, it makes it easier for others to follow.

  OK

> What was the url you tried? This is what I would have expected it to be
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/yourscript.pl

   This is my link,
   http://localhost/cgi-bin/perltest.pl

> Yes if your browser is prompting you to open/save the file then you have
> not configured the directory to execute scripts.
> The Apache documentation say that you can configure a directory to
> execute cgi scripts with this line in your apache config.
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin/

    As i have installed Apache 2.2.9 so it does not have the above mentioned
path, so i added
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ and now it is working

> The default location for your Apache config is
> "/etc/apache2/apache2.conf".

   for me it was /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

> Have a look for a line like the one above. The line basically say "When
> someone requests a file from the http://localhost/cgi-bin/, execute it"
>
> It maps the url /cgi-bin to the local directory
> /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin.
>
> The Apache docs also show that you can enable any number of directories
> with a stanza like this:
>
> <Directory /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/somedir>
>    Options +ExecCGI
> </Directory>
>
> The +ExecCGI means execute files found in
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/somedir
>
> This is another way to get scripts to execute.
>

> That is all your missing at the moment. You need to tell apache to
> execute/run files in the cgi-bin. Also ensure that you have set the
> executable bit on the file (chmod +x yourscript.pl).

OK fine thanks it works now, but if i need to install and uninstall mod_cgi
how i will do it in future. IS there any other module that i have to install
for CGI.