* Alexander Krasnorutsky wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 17:21 -0500, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
>> How would I get the length of a string as returned by length () into
>>
>> a 4 byte unsigned integer in  network byte order
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> It's simple.
>
> $unsigned_4byte_int = pack 'N', length($your_string);

Thank You, it worked great.
Its not so simple when I have no idea what a 4 byte unsigned integer in
 network byte order even is.  I thought I would need to use pack, but
had no idea how it worked.

I'm still clueless & learning, but I greatly appreciate the help of
people who know more than me.

Thank You very much.

P.S.
If anyone on this list uses the mon software to monitor their networks
There are a set of monitors at http://www.cmpublishers.com/oss.
The answer to this question was used in the clamd.monitor.
Thanks again.

--
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.