I just downloaded the image and the above works for me.
The image also seems to have the latest Yaxo package installed.

Could you send me the stack dump in SqueakDebug.log, so I can see what
might be happening?

Thanks for checking the XML example on your machine. I tried it with a
fresh image and it worked for me as well. 1000 apologies for wasting
your time.
It turns out that I commented out some code before I found the example
and I was trying to make sense of the API cold.

Thanks again for the response. I'm now successfully parsing XML (in a
fresh image)

Nick