On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:55:11 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 00:04 -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Hello,

After much help already, I think I need some training in proper object
removal.

When my application creates an object and stores it in an
OrderedCollection, and than wants to delete it, I am trying to do so
quite explicitly with something like:

DataManager>>deleteSelectedAbstractors
    self selected do: [:each |
        self abstractors remove: each.
        each := nil.
    ]

which removes the object from my application (it's collection), and
yet when I look for my object in the system with

DataAbstractor allInstances.

I still see the object I removed, even with an explicit Smalltalk
garbageCollect or garbageCollectMost.  Anything I create just seems to
hang around forever.

Any help understanding what I need to do to make sure my objects
really go away when I am done with them would be greatly appreciated!

The objects are still referenced in the collection you get
from self selected. The line with "each := nil" is useless
as each is only a temporary variable.

Not 100% useless, since temporary variables (and arguments, for that matter) survive any attempt, from within the same method, to garbage collect them:

{'this ', 'and ', 'that'} collect: [:each | ].
Smalltalk garbageCollect.
{thisContext tempAt: 1} inspect

first line: create some object and make a temp var point to it.
second line: invoke GC.
third line: see what's still pointed to by the temp var.

/Klaus

I assume that you want
to empty the selected collection as well. you could do

DataManager>>deleteSelectedAbstractors
   self selected copy do: [:each |
   self abstractors remove: each.
   self selected remove: each.