On Aug 23, 2008, at 4:44 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

I'm of the belief that you don't show people bad style, no matter what their level, and especially newbies, because they tend to fall back on what they
learn first.

My experience teaching for ten years at university is help beginners get something working fast (early success), then help them refine it as needed. That's more like real development anyhow. For instance, you represented each hand as a Set. It won't be long before that turns out to be inadequate and they want a BridgePlayer to keep track not only of unplayed cards, but tricks they've won, their bid, etc...

Also I hinted at the value of collection when using the hands temporary to do the deal. That was also intentional.

People improve over time and there is value in teaching them how to recognize when things need improvement (or refactoring as the buzzworders like to say). It would not be long before the individual would recognize that he was doing too much boilerplate and start looking to reduce the work.

So there's my philosophy for teaching programming. Stuff I post on newbies is often intentionally naive/simple/concept limited.

-Todd Blanchard