On 19.01.2009, at 01:34, Mark Carter wrote:

I'm new to smalltalk and squeak - and I must say, it seems capable of doing some pretty amazing stuff.

It is. Welcome :)

I started playing with morphs today.

It seems as if you played with Etoys, which is an authoring environment aimed at elementary-school children written on top of Smalltalk. The boundaries between Etoys and the underlying system are not rigid, but typically one works either in the one or the other.

I created a Stack (which I called BlogStack), which has a TextBody (actually a scrolling text morph) and a button.

The Stack-related Morphs are experimental (and the experiment is long over). In the proper Etoys image they are not even shown.

I just redid your example in that image using a Playfield as holder for two buttons and a string. Storing the playfield as morph and loading it back worked fine (although the "save in file" menu is considered advanced usage and hence hidden by default). See attachment.

- Bert -