Thank you very much for all the great help I received earlier on extracting
numbers from text.  There is only one thing I forgot about:

Some of the files have HTML headers and footers.  I don't want any data
inside HTML brackets.   I tried:

  s/<*>//g;

I don't understand why this doesn't work. I actually just need s/<*\d*>//g
because the other expressions are automatically taken care of by the
expressions that delete all text.  Why doesn't the above work for removing
html tags?  I have several perl books and none say the character "<" is
reserved. "\<" doesn't work either.

Thanks for any help.  (Actually, thanks for writing my program for me;
although I'm trying hard to do it myself.)   ;-)

Gregg R. Allen
EMC 2
Layered Product Engineering
62 TW Alexander Dr