In case inquiring minds would like to know...

Actually, the reason why I am trying to do this in PERL in the first place
is because I couldn't figure out how to do it in C++ on a UNIX machine
(getchar is not supposed to buffer, but it does in some cases). I thought I
would try it in PERL on UNIX and/or Windows to see if there was a
difference. But portability is a plus. So I'm off to try to load a couple of
PERL modules (turns out I need Time:HiRes also) and see if I can get this
working. But the C/UNIX related hints are useful to read also. Thanks to
all.

Janet

PS Someone here at work solved the C/UNIX problem for me too, it had to do
with concatanation...