Thanks,
I know there are plenty of wonderful Date manipulators (Date::Calc would
simply my life unimaginably) but I am still waiting to hear back from our
Legal Dept. regarding the use of the modules.  I know that I should be
allowed to use them considering the modules found as part of perl often
come from CPAN anyways yet I am stuck in the mud of bureaucracy. :)

Craig Moynes
Internship Student
netCC Development
IBM Global Services, Canada
Tel: (905) 316-3486
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Matt Cauthorn

                    <mattcauth@yah       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    oo.com>              cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Regexp: Grouping and
replacing with an unknown number of
                    05/08/01 09:38        groups

                    PM

Not sure if this will help you at this point, but I strongly recommend the
Date::Manip module for anything involving parsing dates. It does everything
you can
imagine with dates and more. Tell it to parse your dates, and boom you can
print
them however you want, get differences, etc. There are plenty of other date
mods on
CPAN as well, but I've used Date::Manip and can say that it is awesome.
Check it
out.

--- Craig Moynes/Markham/IBM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Continuing with the problems for my 'date formatting' script.
>
> I am reading in a complete record from a logfile.  I check to see if the
> regexp matches to something inside the record.
> Then I want to find the what each grouped mini-regexp matched up with in
> the monster one at the bottom of the email.
>
> The number of mini-regexp differs depending on the date format line the
> user enters.  So i find out how make keys there are (thus the number of
> mini-regexps)
> and try to construct a string that will print out whatever the
mini-regexp
> matched up with.  But of course it doesn't work ;)
>
> <snip>
> $completeRec = "[Wed Aug  2 16:00:02 2000] [notice] caught SIGTERM,
> shutting down";
>  my $numOfKeys = keys %{$self->{DF_TOKENS}};
> for ( $counter = 1; $counter < $numOfKeys; $counter++)
> {
>      $replaceString.="\$$counter ";
> }
> my $values = $completeRec;
>
> $values =~ s/.*$self->{DF_REGEXP}.*/$replaceString/g;
> print "$values\n";
>
> <code done>
>
> Where $self->{DF_REGEXP} = something like :
> (?-xism:((?-xism:Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun))) (?-xism:((?
> -xism:Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec))) (?-xism:((?
-xism:
> [ ][1-9]|[1-2][0-9]|3[0-1]))) (?-xism:((?-xism:[01][0-9]|2[0-3]))):(?
-xism: