At 12:13 PM 5/9/01 -0500, Shawn wrote:
>I just want an efficient mv subroutine or module which has such a thing,
>but none of the File::* things seem to have mv.
>
>I would rather not shell out 10000 times just to, in the vast majority
>of cases, move a file from on dir to another in the same fs.
>
>Can someone help?

% perldoc -f rename

        rename OLDNAME,NEWNAME
                Changes the name of a file; an existing file
                NEWNAME will be clobbered.  Returns true for
                success, false otherwise.

                Behavior of this function varies wildly depending
                on your system implementation.  For example, it
                will usually not work across file system
                boundaries, even though the system mv command
                sometimes compensates for this.  Other
                restrictions include whether it works on
                directories, open files, or pre-existing files.
                Check the perlport manpage and either the
                rename(2) manpage or equivalent system
                documentation for details.

--
Peter Scott