--- Edson Manners <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having trouble finding a list of formatting characters that deal
> with the backslash and forward slash characters in Perl.
> For example... What does----
>    if ($line =~ /^$i\./)
> mean I understand everything except the characters ^$i\./
> What is the significance of these characters?
> I would be much obliged if I can get any response.

Let me explain more than needed, for all who might benefit.
The construct

 $line =~

associates the following pattern with the variable $line, so that it
operates on that value, rather than some other such as the default of
$_

The match pattern

  /^$i\./

means:
   /          this is the default matching character,
              and begins the pattern
   ^          The carat means to "anchor" the pattern at the start of
              (in this case) $line.
   $i         The value of $i is compared to $line
   \.         a period is usually a matching wildcard character.
              the backslash escapes it, saying to use a literal period
   /          this is the closing slash, ending the pattern

What this means is "Search from the beginning of $line for the value in
$i, followed by a period".

=====
print "Just another Perl Hacker\n"; # edited for readability =o)
Real friends are those whom, when you inconvenience them, are bothered less by it than
you are. -- me. =o)