On Thu, 24 May 2001, justin todd wrote:

> Just curious if any of you people have had a look at the Perl Version of
> ASP? I haven't looked at it in detail but I think it might be a nice new
> way to approach web development. Maybe some of you guru's could have a
> look and see what you think.

I've done PerlScript development on NT with IIS & ActiveState Perl.  It's
definitely a good choice if you have to use IIS and don't want to deal
with VBScript.  My biggest complaint is that you can't stick any old thing
into session variables (like you can in Apache::Session), you are stuck
using an OLE variant type.  If you are clever you can flatten your
datatype (I think someone has actually created a Win32 module for this)
and use that for session variables.

While using PerlScript with ASP is way better than doing it with VBScript,
as far as embedded Perl solutions go, I have more fun using Mason
(http://masonhq.com).  Unfortunately, it's primarily targeted for Apache &
mod_perl, but I think it can also be run independently as a CGI, but you
lose the cool Apache & mod_perl stuff.

-- Brett