On May 30, Craig Moynes/Markham/IBM said:

>Is there anyway to sleep for less than a second using the default
>installation of perl ?

friday:~ $ perldoc -q sleep
=head1 Found in /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/pod/perlfaq8.pod

=head2 How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

If you want finer granularity than the 1 second that the sleep()
function provides, the easiest way is to use the select() function as
documented in L<perlfunc/"select">.  If your system has itimers and
syscall() support, you can check out the old example in
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/misc/ancient/tutorial/eg/itimers.pl .

I refer you then to perlfunc:

friday:~ $ perldoc -f select

[...]
You can effect a sleep of 250 milliseconds this way:

    select(undef, undef, undef, 0.25);
[...]

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/