On May 31, Paul said:

>Still, though, won't that return all the *strings* as elements, rather
>than the individual characters? and wouldn't \S* solve that difference?

We're only matching ONE character at a time:

  @all_chars  = $str =~ /./sg;
  @all_ws     = $str =~ /\s/g;
  @all_non_ws = $str =~ /\S/g;

If we use split(), then we want to split on \s*:

  @all_non_ws = split /\s*/, $str;

>Also, please make darned sure you post when this book is available.
>I'd like to put some money in your pocket. :o]

The book should be completed before the year is out, so it should be on
the shelves in early 2002.  Until then, you can always view the book's
progress at:

  http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/docs/LPRE.html

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/